Latest News

Romanian Oven-Roasted Cabbage... Varza La Cuptor

Welcome To RecipesHitz.blogspot.com |
Romanian Oven-Roasted Cabbage... "Varza La Cuptor"... This cabbage dish has locomote 1 of my novel favorites inward the concluding few weeks. I've made it multiple times... as well as never got tired of it:).
What I honey most well-nigh it is that it uses existent basic ingredients, resulting inward a dish I tin consume for days. Funny affair is that I honey it mutual frigidness out of the refrigerator every bit well! I know...

Now, this dish has roots to my Romanaian heritage. It was a dish made oftentimes inward our habitation piece growing up. Since my mom e'er had homemade sauerkraut inward the house, she would build this dish using exclusively fermented  cabbage...whole cabbage heads which she sliced thinly....  and she actually didn't add together whatever fresh cabbage similar I do. But since I don't e'er choose a barrel of sauerkraut on hand, I opt to "fill in" the sauerkraut total alongside fresh cabbage as well as add together some lemon juice to build upwards for some of the acidity sauerkraut imparts to the dish. 

But what I actually like, is that on a whim, when I crave this dish, I tin arrive alongside merely an eighteen oz container of store-bought fermented sauerkraut... as well as a raw caput of cabbage. Now I establish a item build for sauerkraut(Wildbrine) that tastes just similar the sauerkraut I grew upwards with... therefore that's what I used here. However, I've also used jarred Bubbies build sauerkraut every bit well... without the garlic as well as dill flavor. 

If yous similar anything caramelized... onions especially, yous mightiness savor this dish. The cabbage inward this dish bakes as well as releases wonderful aromas as well as tantalizing caramelized flavors. While yous tin add together all sorts of other ingredients to the dish... I honey it inward its simplicity- cabbage, sauerkraut as well as onion. 

I am e'er amazed when unproblematic ingredients attain a dish that's complex inward flavors. In the end, the roasted cabbage should choose a "dry" consistency... without whatever liquid lingering inward the dish. 

Romanians honey to yoke this dish alongside sausages, fried pork chops as well as roast duck. H5N1 side of freshly made polenta normally completes the meal. I'm fine eating it past times itself... but my married adult man enjoys it alongside sausage:). 

Next time, endeavor roasting the cabbage inward the oven... you'll notice roasting brings the cabbage to some other level. Hope yous enjoy...


Note: While I drained my sauerkraut of all the juice as well as added lemon juice instead, yous tin opt to non drain the  sauerkraut inward illustration yous choose no lemon juice on hand... I similar to reserve the sauerkraut juice for making soups as well as honey to add together lemon juice to the cabbage every bit it adds some other degree of acidity the cabbage needs.

Also, piece I added the amounts needed for the cabbage as well as sauerkraut, yous tin easily conform past times adding to a greater extent than sauerkraut as well as less cabbage... same goes alongside the love apple tree glue or olive oil. For me these amounts locomote wonderfully well. The cabbage isn't besides greasy, nor is it besides tomato-y, nor besides sour. But everyone's gustatory modality is different:)...

You volition need:

Oven-Roasted Cabbage
1 caput (3lb) greenish cabbage, sliced thin
1 med/large onion, sliced thin
1(18 oz) container, sauerkraut, drained- (mine was dill as well as garlic flavored)
3-5 TBS lemon juice, or to taste -I used v TBS meyer lemon juice
half dozen TBS olive oil
iii TBS love apple tree paste, tin hold out optional
1 tsp bounding main salt, or to taste
pepper to taste

Other Additions Can Be Added To Taste:
smoked paprika
pepper flakes/cayenne
dill
caraway seeds
lardons of bacon
sausages, added at the cease of the cooking time- or yous tin pan fry

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 375 deg F
1. Gather ingredients. Drizzle a tablespoon of olive stone oil on the bottom of a large roasting pan( I used a 13x9 pan)
2. Slice cabbage thinly, tin purpose mandoline if desired. Add to pan.
3. Slice onion thinly, tin purpose mandoline if desired. Add to pan.
4. Drain sauerkraut(reserve liquid for other uses, such every bit soups) as well as add together sauerkraut to the repose of cabbage ingredients that's inward the pan.
5. In a pocket-sized bowl, mix  the residue of the olive oil(5 TBS), love apple tree paste(if using), salt, pepper as well as lemon juice until combined thoroughly. Pour over cabbage ingredients.
6. Mix all cabbage ingredients thoroughly until all cabbage is coated alongside the stone oil mixture. At this indicate yous tin add together other ingredients yous may like... I added some spicy crimson pepper. 
Note: If yous honor the pan is besides pocket-sized to mix all the cabbage ingredients in, as well as therefore opt to mix them inward a large bowl beforehand as well as and therefore degree it out inward the roasting pan. 
7. Place pan inward preheated oven as well as bake for 1 sixty minutes - 1 sixty minutes as well as xxx minutes... or until cabbage is nicely colored as well as caramelized... as well as all liquid is evaporated.  You volition involve to plough the cabbage over inward the pan every 10-15 minutes... therefore the cabbage gets caramelized evenly. My cabbage was done some 1 sixty minutes as well as fifteen minutes. 
NOTE: 
I made ii versions of the oven-roasted cabbage... 1 alongside love apple tree glue ... as well as 1 without love apple tree paste. Both were delicious! So inward case, yous don't choose whatever love apple tree paste, yous tin however savor making the dish alongside merely a few unproblematic ingredients.